Why am I observing Lent? Because I want to.
I love Easter. Celebrating it is what makes me a Christian. Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins, was buried in a tomb, and rose from the dead. Because I believe this I am saved. Spending 40 days in sacrifice for Jesus - preparing my heart for the culminating celebration of my faith - just seems like a good fit for me.
Why am I giving up coffee? Because I don't want to.
I really, really like coffee. (I want to say I love coffee - but since I don't love it the way I love Easter and Jesus, I am refraining from overuse of the word "love.") Giving it up is going to be hard. Real hard. But, it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice if I gave up something that wasn't special to me. And coffee is so special.
When I consider what Jesus gave up for me...coffee is no comparison. So, I eagerly look forward to this Lent season as I deny myself the worldly pleasure that is coffee and focus my thoughts on Jesus and His mighty sacrifice. May God be glorified. May I not drive my family crazy.
Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. (Luke 9:23-24)
Drink water? Have fun. Honor God.
No comments:
Post a Comment