Monday, July 19, 2010

church girl

I went to a wedding. There was dancing. There was 80's rap. Guests started breaking out their old school moves. The Running Man was being attempted along with a little Kid 'n Play. I had been absent from the dance floor up to this point, instead chasing my kids around the property and tending to their needs. But, c'mon, 80's rap? I have to get my dance on to that. So, I made sure my kids were under the watch of my mom, and headed to the dance floor (well, it was grass, but saying the "dance grass" doesn't really make sense).

I asked if anyone knew the Roger Rabbit, a gal said "oh yeah," and started dancing - not the Roger Rabbit, mind you. Not wanting to disappoint my absent husband who always represents for us on the 80's dance throw downs - I busted a move and knocked out my best Roger Rabbit rendition. Not an easy move to master - but I must have held my own because an impressed onlooker said, "Wow! That church girl got some crazy skills!"

Church girl?

That comment totally caught me off guard...not that it is offensive or untrue...but it seemed odd to me that of all the things that I could be called - "girl in yellow dress," "redhead," "frazzled mom," "girl who spilled meatballs down the front of her" - of all the adjectives or nicknames that could have been used to describe me, church girl was the phrase this guy - a person that I didn't know, had never talked to, had not even stood in the buffet line with - used to describe me.

As I pondered my new nickname, I was confused. Why did he call me church girl? I didn't know anyone at the wedding except my immediate family. Was it something I said? Was it my outfit? I came to the realization that nothing I said or did that evening would have been a huge tip-off to my theological affiliations. And, I concluded that this guy called me church girl for one of three possible reasons...

  1. He was impressed with my mad dance skills, and "church girl" is a name he always uses to send out his sincerest appreciations when anyone busts out some old school choreography.
  2. He was mad at me for getting jiggy with it and out-dancing his girlfriend - so he called me "church girl" to insult me and cause me to retreat from the dance grass.
  3. Or - and this is the one I am choosing to believe - my life is finally reflecting my faith, if even just a little.

Maybe I am finally walking in the light; maybe people can tell there is something just a little different about me. Something like Jesus Christ? Yes. The more I thought about it, the more excited I got. I want to be a vessel used by God. I want my life to reflect the love of Jesus in my everyday experiences - even in my 80's dance throw downs. Have I arrived? By no means. But, if - even for just one night - the way I live my life causes people to think about God, then I will rejoice! I will crank the DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, I will dance the Roger Rabbit, and I will rejoice!

Dance on. Have fun. Honor God.

2 comments:

Marcie D said...

Wow. I wish someone would call me a church girl. What a compliment. Congratulations, Your tree is bearing fruit!!!!

Des said...

Your dancing is bearing fruit! I love 80's rap....is there any other dance music anyways?? Awesome Joah! I love it!