I know. How could I think such a thing? Truly, I don't know - it just popped into my head and I couldn't shake it. I wanted to shake it - I knew it wasn't true. I asked God to take it from me, to cleanse my heart and forgive me for thinking such an awful thought about Him and His motives. But still, it lingered.
The more I thought about it - and tried to forget about it - the more it ate at me. I believe that we are created on purpose, for a purpose, each of us having a shared purpose of honoring God. In my finite thinking this week though, I began thinking God created us to honor Him - which of course, led me to irrational thoughts of self promotion and narcissism by God. (Yes, I am rolling my eyes at myself right now.) So, if I wasn't created to honor God, then why was I created?
Admittedly, I struggled with that question for a couple days. Through Godly friends, and biblical truth I found the answer at the end of the 4th chapter of Revelation (Sort of ironic, really. Maybe that will teach me to finish my bible study before I head out to play.)...
...for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.(Rev 4:11b KJV)
I was created - we were all created - because God delights in us. We please Him. I was created to be.
Wow. As I write this I am welling up with tears. God is delighted with me and my purpose is to be. Of course I give Him honor and glory and thanks - but not because I have to and not because He created me to. I do it because He is God. Creator of the universe - creator of me. I do it because every fiber of my being leads me to do so - for the same reasons the 4 creatures and 24 elders in Revelation 4 do it - because we know who God is and we know what He has done.
I find myself amused as I look at the definition of narcissism. The condition I so flippantly used to describe God could not be further from His true character. For God to be a narcissist would imply that He is self-centered, vain, and has excessive self-love. He is none of these things - in fact, He is the antithesis of these things...what is the antonym for narcissism?...
...so I checked, and while they are not all appropriate adjectives to depict God and His character, some of the more appropriate antonym-ic adjectives to describe God would be altruistic, selfless, kind, and agape. Even better are sovereign, righteous, holy, and all mighty. Oh man, I am so lame. Narcissist, Joah? Really?
Dearest Heavenly Father~
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. (Rev 4:11)
~Amen.
3 comments:
Oh Joah, I would never judge you for just being gutsy enough to aak the question knowing full well that you love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and strength. Everything about you says Jesus. Remember "church girl"? Haha! Great blog! Thank you for being so bold in your faith and sharing such an amazing truth that took some serious work to find out. Most of us would have just shrugged our shoulders and accepted that He created us and we worship Him...yada, yada, yada... But you didn't. You took a risk and that my friend I am sure He took great pleasure in watching you dig, discover and share. That was worship right there!!!
I love you, dear friend. You are a delight.
~Jullie
Dearest Joah,
Praise the Lord you found your answer in Him! God is so good. Jullie said it all and I agree with her. Keep on asking and seeking. It is all part of His wonderful plan for you in the future.
Love you Sweetie. You are a great blessings to me-Jeanne
I used to think all those things about God all the time. It was one of the biggest reasons I didn't like Him. Now I have learned better and loved this post. Another part of all of this is we are never happier or more fullfilled than when we are catching a glimpse of God's glory and worshiping Him in awe and wonder. When we can see Him as He is, our God-shaped hole will be completely filled and we will be more satisfied than we ever dreamed of. I amagine if we couldn't worship we would explode. All this to say worhship is as much for us as for Him.
Post a Comment