I was sitting at the table last night, frantically uploading pictures and searching through holiday card designs, so I could order my Christmas cards and take advantage of some killer Cyber Monday deals. (Is Cyber Monday new? I think I just heard of it this year...) As I was sighing and frowning at my computer my husband asked,
"Why are you sending out Christmas cards?"
What?!?! What kind of a question is that? Uh...how about, because it's CHRISTMAS! Or, because I want all of our friends and family to see how cute our family is. And, how will everyone know what has happened with us this year and how can I share the Good News of the birth of Jesus Christ if I don't send out Christmas cards?!?! It was like he asked me to move to Mars with him or something...I was dumbfounded, and he was completely serious.
Facebook. That was his argument. I am constantly posting pictures, updating my status, and proclaiming the Good News via facebook, so why was I agonizing last night at my computer over a tradition that I was observing merely for tradition's sake? Ugh.
I feel conflicted. I like Christmas cards - sending them and receiving them. But, I also like saving money. Is an emailed Christmas letter as meaningful as one received in the mail? Is facebook Christmas cheer as cheery as post office Christmas cheer? Why am I carrying on over this?
So while I am not sure of how I will distribute it, thanks to my husband and his unsolicited advice, I know that my next order of business is to write my Christmas letter. This I look forward to and thoroughly enjoy. Fo' realz. Though, now my husband is telling me,
"Make it short. If you want anyone to read it..."
No comments:
Post a Comment