Thursday, January 12, 2012

puppy purchases

I bought Hurley a new bed today. It's a temporary one to fit in his temporary kennel while he is temporarily small(ish). I am actually not really sure why we went to the expense to purchase him a cozy, soft bed since he seems to prefer sleeping outside, in the cold, on a damp rug. It does have a zebra print. Maybe he is drawn to animal prints. Classy.

Anyhoo, the bed I got him today is a "large" size. On the dog bed brochure were pictures of dogs and the size of bed each breed would require. When Hurley is full grown he will surpass the "extra large" and require a "giant" size dog bed. Perhaps this is no shock to people who are familiar with the German Shepherd breed...but the daily revelations of the ginormity of our dog are astounding to me.

Another realization I had at the pet store today was that the 3 baths I had to give Hurley in the first week of his arrival in our home probably caused the itching he is currently experiencing. Apparently princess shampoo from the dollar store is not appropriate pet laundering soap. I thought the worker who was assisting me was going to call the ASPCA on me when I told her what I had done. Seriously lady - he was covered in poop from his head to his tail - it was what I had in a pinch. So, I also bought oatmeal dog shampoo today. It literally cost more than the shampoo I use on my head. And the bottle is half the size - at least.

Ahhhhh...pet ownership. And, as I am writing this, Hurley is sound asleep on his new bed...tooting. Oh.my.gosh! The smell is HUGE. Perhaps our next purchase will have to be gas masks.



Pet your pet. Have fun. Honor God.

Hurley in his new bed. Just like a toddler...cute when he is asleep.

Brotherly love. Milo laid down and waited for Hurley to come play.

A little game of follow the leader. Hurley is patiently waiting for Milo to be done on the fence.

No comments: