Tuesday, October 12, 2010

feeling whelmed

My life has gotten crazy lately. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I am whelmed by my chores, obligations, and duties. I am finding I don't have time to do the things I use to do - like bake, watch movies, play games, or exercise. Well, I don't really like to exercise, so I am not too broken up about that one - but still, I have no leisure time to think about exercising.

The things on my plate are things I have put there, on purpose, by choice - ministry opportunities, child activities, playdates, and writing. But, I am beginning to wonder what needs to go, because there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day, I am starting to stress out, and I really, really miss my down time.

I am struggling right now identifying the ministry God is calling me to. I want to serve Him in any and every way that I can - yet I know that it will only be pleasing to Him if I am serving according to His will. Clearly my family is a ministry that God has entrusted to me and called me to. But am I one of the servants that He has also called to serve beyond my home, and comfort, and convenience??

Here's what's up...I feel very called to serve in various ministries - so much so that knots form in my heart, I feel burdened by the thought of not participating, heaviness is lifted when I am in the motion of serving - but being a part of these ministries is affecting my "at-home" work. I don't have as much time to sit with my kids and play, I miss school events and extra curricular activities, the laundry is piling up, and my husband is picking up the slack where I am lagging.

Mostly I am finding that I can't get into a rhythm. Every day I feel like I am behind. I make lists, prioritize, and organize, but still I am lacking. What needs to go so I can breathe? I want to have my down time back, I want to stay home, I want to bake - but what am I called to do?

Two things that I do know.
  1. I need to pray about this.
  2. I cannot do any of these things in my own power.
As I pray for God's direction and strength, I will keep my eyes lifted to the heavens, focused on His glory, and I will praise Him all of my days.

No comments: