Monday, November 8, 2010

the shack

I just finished The Shack by William P Young. I have mixed feelings about this book. The beginning was hard to read in that it dealt with a horrible tragedy involving a child. But, it was interesting and fast paced. After the initial shock, the book went into the meat of its plot, reconciliation with God. I thought it was a little boring to be honest. I found myself skimming through, picking up on the pieces that dealt most with the first couple chapters, actually hoping it would return to the painful affliction that first caught my attention.

I can see how this book would strike controversy - especially for those who do not know the true character of God - or for those who know it intimately. I do not think I will recommend this book to anyone, nor will I discourage them from reading it. I feel neutral about it, I suppose. Though, it might be interesting to engage in conversation with someone who has also experienced it - someone who loved it, or someone who hated it - because I am quite lukewarm about it.

No comments: