Wednesday, September 22, 2010

facebook fast

I started the Air1 facebook fast this week (M-F). I don't really know why I did it. I wasn't feeling especially convicted to monitor my social media interaction, but Sean and Mandy(the djs) were doing it, and I am a joiner. I join things, then look back and wonder, why did I commit to this? That's how I started running, reading, drinking dirt shakes, and now, a facebook fast.

I think that the thinking behind the fast is for us to realize how much time and energy we spend on things like facebook or twitter without even realizing it. Time we could be spending on more productive and eternal things - like reading our bible or spending quiet time with God...blah, blah, blah. I'm not "blah, blahing" because I feel that thinking doesn't have merit, I am just annoyed that I signed on for this fast. I already spend a lot of time in the Word and with God - and now, I miss my friends. It turns out no one uses email anymore. I am totally disconnected. Sigh.

So, trying to keep a positive attitude about the fast, I started thinking I could get some blogging done. Since I wouldn't be spending "all this time" facebooking, I could more effectively use my time to write down some thoughts that have been rolling around in my head. More agitation. Turns out writing takes up waaaay more of my time than any social networking tool ever could. In fact, since I have decided to take up blogging again, I am actually falling behind on my bible studies and prayer time commitments.

It seems to me this facebook fast is actually backfiring on me and my personal growth opportunity. I think I will shoot Sean and Mandy an email about that and see what they have to say. I am actually surprised though, at how easy it has been to stay off facebook. Like, I know now that I wouldn't die without it - I wouldn't know where my friends were eating lunch, who was having babies, or when my kid's friend's lost their teeth - but I wouldn't die. I think what I actually miss most is talking to my brother. Facebook has been a great way for us to stay connected and involved in the details of each others lives. That can't be all bad, right? Isn't that the whole purpose of social networking?

Anyway, this fast will be over in a couple days and I will once again be connected to my friends and family via the social networking tool that is facebook. I am looking forward to it. Mostly, so I can finally get some things done. I am telling you - blogging is my huge time-suck - being plugged into society again will actually free up my schedule. At least, that's what I am telling myself.

1 comment:

Rai's mom said...

I'll admit, I miss seeing what you have to say on facebook! Anyways, the issue shouldn't be facebook, it should be about finding balance in your life. (not yours personally just a general "your") It should be more of a less games and random things on facebook and more of a time limit like I'm only going to spend a total of 30 minutes out of my day on facebook (it could be 5 minute increments or whatever) and then you set a timer and stick to it. Kind of more like a diet. (sorry you got me thinking and I wanted to leave you a comment!)