Saturday, December 18, 2010

yawn injury

Last Friday I woke up at 4am. I rolled over, stretched, yawned, and "threw" out my back. I use quotations because I am not sure what it really means to "throw" out your back, and I would imagine that what I experienced was mild compared to what so many people with back issues have faced. Yet, since that yawn, I have not felt the same - my upper back/neck hurts, is stiff, and feels like it need to be "popped" back into place.

I stretched it through the weekend, but resigned to calling a chiropractor by Monday. I went three times this week with little progress. I am not sure how this is all suppose to work, so I am a little discouraged. I guess I was really hoping that I would go twice and be "cured." Now, it actually feels worse than before - and I can actually hear my physical-therapy-camp friends saying, "I told you so." My doctor assures me this is normal, but how can more discomfort be good?

Having an injured back has been hard on Rachel. I am not able to pick her up much or carry her "like a baby" the way she likes. I took her to the doctor with me on Friday, and as we were leaving she told the receptionist, "Thanks for fixing my mommy." Then today, she asked me to hold her and I told her I could not pick her up because my back was still hurting, and she replied matter-of-factly, "But the doctor fixed your back." Oh, how I wish that were true.

So, I have at least two more appointments in my future. In the meantime, my doctor has told me to take it easy and "try not to yawn." Nice.

No comments: