Sunday, June 13, 2010

though i can't fully explain it, i fully believe it - trinity

I have recently been challenged to defend my faith in the Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all in one, yet all separate. As I thought about it, read scripture, prayed and meditated on the concept - it didn't really become any clearer to me. Though I cannot fully explain it, I totally believe it.

I can see why someone who doesn't have faith might have a hard time accepting the truth of the Trinity - it would certainly make more "sense" if the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit were three separate entities, period. But the Bible clearly states that God's divine nature is a unity of these three distinct but not separate persons. If what makes "sense" to us is in direct contradiction to what the bible actually says, then what makes "sense" to us is of no value and is a lie. Therefore it is only by faith that we can accept a concept that cannot be fully explained by human logic.

As well, if all of God's ways made sense - if I could wrap my head around all the mysteries of God - then He wouldn't be very big - because my mind is very finite. I am not only okay with not knowing how the Trinity fully works - I prefer it that way. I don't want to be able to explain all the nuances of God. Being able to make "sense" of everything God is, or does, doesn't require much faith. So, when asked why I believe that God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - my best answer is just because I do. Through scripture, prayer, and meditation - the Triune God is just what makes "sense"to me.

No comments: