I made the "God is silent in my life" declaration this morning, and my dear friend and mentor, straight-shooting Jeanne said, "What are you talking about? That's crazy and it's a lie." Those might not have been her exact words, but that is what I heard. The more I thought about it and meditated on it, the more I knew she was absolutely right.
- When I write about God and the truths He has revealed (seriously, why didn't I catch that before?) to me - He is speaking to me.
- When I am convicted - about anything - that is God working in me.
- When I know, without a doubt, the way to go or the decision to make - that is God being very loud and very present in my life.
- And most recently, when I do not know which path to take - even after prayer and petition - I know God is speaking to me "wait."
I couldn't hear God - not because He wasn't speaking to me - but because I had preconceived notions of what He would sound like. Did I expect God to appear in a vision to me? Did I think I was going to hear His audible voice? Maybe I thought He wasn't speaking to me, because He wasn't saying what I wanted to hear. When we try to put God in a box and conform Him to our ideas and thinking, then we limit the value of His power in our lives and can't fully experience His awesomeness. I am not really sure why I would have ever said that God is silent in my life. I do know that I will never utter that statement again - as it is a lie. He speaks to me loud and clear, in many ways, all the time - I just have to listen.
"Be still and know that I am God." ~Psalm 40:10
1 comment:
Oh so true, Joah. I have found that whenever God is silent several possibilities are in play. Either:
1. He is speaking in His silence.
2. He has spoken but I missed Him.
3. He spoke, but didn't say what I wanted to hear.
4. He stopped speaking awhile back because I haven't been obedient in an area He last gave me direction in.
The good news that I have found is that I can open His Word at any point and hear His voice. It may not be on the topic that's on my heart, but it will definatly be His Words.
This was a great post. Thank you for it!
Post a Comment