"I miss Bend."
"You miss days like this in Bend...days of sunshine with no wind, blue skies...perfect."
"Yeah. I guess you're right. But I still miss it."
"You hated it here. Remember, the sage brush, tumbleweed, juniper trees...hated it."
This was my conversation with my husband in the car today, after spending a near perfect weekend in Bend. Allen is right...I hated Bend when we lived there. The high desert isn't my favorite thing - I don't like snow, I hate being cold, the wind hurts my ears, the juniper trees incite allergy flares ups that never existed before, there is no mall, tumbleweed is not a rarity...
Yet, as we were driving around the city we called home for nearly 4 years, I was saddened and longed to live there again. But, why? And then it all came to a head, and made sense after a visit to Journey. I love when you can use a principle from a sermon and apply it to a very real circumstance in your life. Pastor Keith delivered a great message that was full of truth and love. In part of the message, he pointed to the fact that "church" was never meant to be about a building or location. "Church," as referred to in the bible, is about people coming together and living in community and love. "Church" isn't somewhere you go, is something you do.
And there it was - knowing the meaning of the word you are using.
To me, "Bend" isn't the city's location, scenery, or average temperature...to me, "Bend" is the people. So, when I say I miss Bend and want to move back, what I mean is - I miss my friends, I am saddened because I crave those relationships, and I want to live there again to be close to the people I have chosen to forever be a part of my life and my family.
Suffice to say, I would not let my intense disdain for the climate and scenery deter me from relocating back to Bend. If I felt called to live in Bend with my family, I would move in a heartbeat - not just because I willingly follow Jesus wherever He leads - but because I love "Bend!"
1 comment:
Insert Portland, and you have my feelings down pat. I know God called us here, and so this is where I am; but I can't help having these same feelings every time I go "home". I am so glad you had a great time Joah, I know that God let's us have moments back in places we have roots, and it's such a sweet thing.
Post a Comment