We had a great day at the fair as a family. This year the weather cooperated enough for us to stay a while. All the kids made fairy wands, got their faces painted, and won some goodies in the cake walk. Abby got to help paint faces, which she had been looking forward to all week. Gage was thrilled to have some free reign as we let him wander off with friends. And the littles, Marissa and Rachel, stayed close to us as we ventured out to pet the horses.
I was thinking about this event, and how my attitude has changed so much from last year. We are still very new to the Waldorf Education methods and culture, but, I think we are assimilating well. I have finally realized that I do not have to conform to the culture of the school, I just have to be myself in the mix of diversity. Ours is not what you would consider a traditional Waldorf family - in fact, I know that we are at the opposite end of the spectrum on most political, spiritual, and social issues just by reading the bumper stickers in the parking lot. But, what we do have in common with the other families there, is that we see the value in the teaching method and curriculum. I am thrilled that my kids are learning to knit, cook, garden, speak french, play the flute, and jump rope. I love that they are able to be kids and are not forced to fit into a rigid mold caused by extreme competitiveness. Sure, there are things I wish were a little different - but no school is perfect and I adjust where needed. But ultimately, I love this opportunity that my kids have to grow in this environment - and I think that the fact that our family is non-traditional in the Waldorf sense adds to the richness of the school. More importantly, it adds to the richness in our own lives, because it causes us to shine our light a little brighter.
No comments:
Post a Comment