Saturday, May 29, 2010

my friend des

This is my friend Des. She got baptized in the ocean. She hates water, seaweed, being cold...

This is us at women's retreat trying to stay warm.


This is our teeny tiny cabin. It actually looks bigger in this picture than it was.

This is what happens when you let me hold your camera.

I met Des about a year and a half ago at a women's bible study. I thought she was adorable and was especially impressed with her hair. In fact, I had just gotten my cut that day and wasn't loving it much - that's why hers was of particular interest to me...seriously, maybe she would let me take a picture of it so I could show my stylist...anyhoo, later on after meeting her, I caught a glance of myself in a mirror...hmmmm - my hair was cut just like hers...all of a sudden, I didn't hate my hair that day so much! Come to find out months later, we actually have the same hair stylist and have been using her for years.

While I don't think Des and I look very much alike in the details of our appearance, apparently our overall appearance is similar enough to confuse the young, the elderly, and the nearsighted. More than once a small child has called me "Miss Des;" I had a long conversation with an elderly lady at bible study about my kids, Gracie and Micah (those are Des' kids if you aren't quite keeping up); and one day at the park we showed up wearing the exact same thing, and when Des' husband arrived he thought he was seeing double.

I guess I see where the confusion lies. How many red heads, with short hair, pasty white skin, similar build, same height, wearing brown shorts, a white tee, and brown flip flops do you expect to see in a day? I think it is funny, and I truly don't mind - I think Des is great and I consider it a compliment to be mistaken for her.

No comments: