Friday, May 28, 2010

morning joah vs. 2am joah

I don't "do" mornings well. I am grumpy, it takes me a while to wake up, and I don't like to talk. In fact, I sound a lot like a caveman until I have had my morning cup of coffee...grunting, pointing at things, scowling. I bring this unlovely point up because somehow, this is not who I am when woke in the middle of the night.

This curious fact dawned on me the other night as I was startled awake at 2am by a crying baby. I jumped out of bed, eyes fully open, went to Rachel and consoled her...with words. She had fallen out of her bed and just needed a minute to calm down. As I tucked her back in , I said a prayer with fully audible, intelligible words. As I climbed back in bed after comforting the baby, I realized how amazing the difference between grumpy-caveman-morning Joah and alert-coherent-2am Joah is.

This isn't an isolated incident either. I am often woke mid slumber by a child's cry, question, sickness, late night stuffed animal search...all with the same unexplainable alertness and cognizance. Weird. What makes the difference, I wonder?

No comments: